McNabb

McNabb
Best QB ever!!

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Smart Remarks Book Club

I did not follow the assignment correctly - did not realize we were suppossed to post our comments to the book club on our own blog sites. Now that I have figured that out...:)

Here is my review of Breaking Dawn:

I love the way Stephenie Meyer develops her characters and their relationships. I could feel the characters thoughts, how they were going to react to each other, what they were thinking, feeling. She has the ability to bring you right into the story, like you are part of the script. I felt like I was right there with them in the meadow fighting the Volturi and I could see the island that Bella and Edward were on and feel the explosion of emtions they were feeling. I missed Edward when he was away from Bella, because she did.

Jacob is my favorite. He would be the hands down winner of my heart, if I was the one he and Edward were fighting over. But then Jacob would have imprinted on me and not Renesmee. It would just seem wrong to snuggle up to a cold vampire no matter how beautiful he was. I just never got over Edward leaving Bella the first time and how Jacob was the one who tried to put Bella back together (early books). Jacob is so loyal...my heart was breaking for him at Bella's wedding, when he danced with her.

I wrote a bit about Bella on Jenny's blog - but I finally enjoyed her character in this book - she is much better as a vampire - cool, strong charcter who has finally decided to love only Edward. I mean really...if she almost stopped breathing over her love for Edward - how on earth could she love someone else? Her indecision was a little irritating.

Renesmee, Renesmee - don't even like typing the name out. She's just a really creepy (best word) character. Vampire/human baby just doesn't make sense. And, I wanted Bella and Edward to have some time alone together before starting a family - not that the thought really entered my mind, because I missed the memo that this could ever happen. Not in any other vampire books or movies have I heard of this. And the name Renesmee is just awful - really that is the best they could come up with??!!

Final comments - I get so caught up in these books that I cannot put them down. Feel like I am a kid again, reading in bed late at night with the covers pulled over my head and flashlight. I re-read the first three books in a week before starting Breaking Dawn and that took me a couple of days to finish. I'm left wanting more.

1 comment:

E said...

Oh, don't worry. Here are the official rules of the Smart Remarks book club: there are no rules.

Anyway, I was excited to see what you thought of the book. I SO agree with your take on Steph Meyer's talents. I also loved The Book of Jacob. It's my new bible. Is that sacrilegious? Anyway, I would have loved an entire book in his POV. Maybe we'll get that next (wink, wink). It was very hard for me to decide between Ed and Jake so I understood where Bella was coming from there. I was hoping S. Meyer would figure out a way for her to have both. Like reverse polygamy. Hey, she could have pulled it off I think. She convinced a lot of people that it's normal to make-out with your future mother-in-law (did you read Amy's review?).

It's over. I'm sad.